By Montague Rhodes James
M. R. James (1862-1936) is maybe top remembered as a author of chilling ghost tales, yet he used to be an excellent student of medieval literature and palaeography, who served either as Provost of King's university, Cambridge, and as Director of the Fitzwilliam Museum, and plenty of of his tales mirror his educational historical past. His descriptive catalogues of manuscripts owned by means of schools, cathedrals and museums are nonetheless of worth to researchers at the present time. This quantity describes the McClean assortment, bequeathed to the Fitzwilliam Museum in 1904 by way of Frank McClean, a Victorian polymath who used to be a civil engineer via occupation but additionally pursued clinical study and the gathering of antiquities, together with the 201 manuscripts and 230 early published books now within the Fitzwilliam Museum. The booklet is illustrated with 108 plates displaying folios from the gathering.
Read Online or Download A Descriptive Catalogue of the McClean Collection of Manuscripts in the Fitzwilliam Museum, 1st Edition PDF
Best nonfiction_3 books
This e-book explores the sociological implications in the back of Paul’s different theological statements of the gospel. Implicit inside of Paul’s perspectives of the gospel is his try to heighten his effect over the neighborhood church buildings, whereas reducing the impression of the neighborhood church buildings over him.
John Dover Wilson's New Shakespeare, released among 1921 and 1966, turned the vintage Cambridge variation of Shakespeare's performs and poems till the Nineteen Eighties. The sequence, lengthy due to the fact out-of-print, is now reissued. every one paintings is obtainable either separately and as a collection, and every incorporates a long and energetic advent, major textual content, and monstrous notes and word list revealed on the again.
- Characterizing exposure of veterans to Agent Orange and other herbicides used in Vietnam final report
- A revision of the North American species in the genus Leptochilus (Hymenoptera:Eumenidae)
- Dambusters - Operation Chastise 1943
- Exorcism (Harlequin Presents, No 850)
- Pragmatic Utopias: Ideals and Communities, 1200-1630
Extra info for A Descriptive Catalogue of the McClean Collection of Manuscripts in the Fitzwilliam Museum, 1st Edition
12. MCCLEAN COLLECTION. 9] 8. PROPHETAE 13 LATINE. Vellum, 20J x 13, ff. 188, double columns of 32 lines. Cent, xii, in a magnificent upright hand. Binding of cent, xviii. Traces of an old pattern on the fore edges. Probably purchased at Milan, and possibly belonged to the Abbey of Morimund. Collation: I gone II8 (wants 1) III8-XI8 (wants 2) XII8-XXIV8 XXVs. Contents: Begins imperfectly in Ezek. xiii. 7 estis. et dicitis ait dominus cum ego non sim locutus . Ends f. $6S. Capitula to Daniel (30) .
6, 1. 12, for libri read libros. 1. 23, for ron read xpm. 1. 34, for 2$ b read 27 b. p. 7, 1. 25, for Ian read lam. p. 9, 1. 18, for dei read dies. p. 23, 11. 10 and % from bottom, for Hand read Head. p. 24, 1. 2, for pack read pails. 11. 21 and 27, for Hand read Head, p. 26, 1. 3 from bottom, for xii read xiii. I. 4 from bottom, for 537 read 544. II. 4 and 17, for Hand read Head. 1. 32, for Jesus read Jesse. xxxii ADDENDA AND CORRIGENDA p. 27, 1. 12 from bottom, for Hand read Head. 1. 10 from bottom, for Jesus read Jesse, p.
On 66 b part of the text is in a different hand. Ends 67 a. Expl. Leuit. Inc. capit. lib. Numeri (50) f. 67 Inc. Uaiedaber idest numerorum . . . . 68 Numeri uero nonne totius arte medicae. (76b. ) 80 b. quid regina boli faciat nunc die pater orbis, with neumes. 81. , with neumes. ) Ends 95 a. Expl. lib. numerorum qui appellatur ebraice uaiedaber. ) Inc. ) . 95 b Deuteronomium quoque secunda lex. Ends 118*: Expl. lib. Heleadabarim quod grece dicitur (blank). Capitula to Joshua 21, including Preface.